I would first like to say, it is always our recommendation to have a professional manage your account regularly, whether that’s an in-house person or an agency. Over the years, I’ve heard a lot of clients ask if we can just setup a Google AdWords account and just let it run by itself. The short answer is yes, you can do that, but it is a terrible, awful idea. Here’s a few very quick reasons why:
- First and foremost, Google cares about quality, because its users care about quality. Quality of ads, websites and their overall users’ experiences.
- AdWords changes all of the time. Non-managed accounts quickly become out-of-date. For example, Google’s new expanded text ads will replace standard ads completely in 2017.
- Missed opportunities for increasing ROI. This kind of goes along with changes, but implementing new features and optimizing your campaigns like enhanced bidding, reviewing conversion attributions, RLSA optimization, etc. can increase your ad performances tenfold.
- You can waste a lot of money if you’re not careful – like A LOT of money.
- Example: you could be paying lots of money on irrelevant search terms.
What We’ve Seen Happen
Recently, we put together a report for a client that did just that, set up an AdWords account, had it professionally managed for one month and then decided to not touch it for 6 months! Here’s what happened:
- Costs skyrocketed!
- CPC costs increased 40%
- CPMs costs increased 109%
- CPA costs increased
- Increase spend quarter over quarter but results decreased
- Conversion rates decreased 25%
- Extremely low-quality scores